The Vancouver Lions Club collects used eyeglasses, sunglasses, reading glasses and frames for recycling through the Lions Eyeglass Recycling Center (“LERC”). The Club also collects used hearing aids for recycling through the Lions Hearing And Speech Committee of Clark County.
Drop off your used eye glasses or hearing aids at any of the following locations in Vancouver, Washington:
- Chuck’s Produce & Street Market (Cascade Park), 13125 N.E. Mill Plain Boulevard, Vancouver
- Chuck’s Produce & Street Market (Salmon Creek), 2302 N.E. 117th Street, Vancouver
- Kaiser Permenente, Cascade Park Medical Office, 12807 S.E. Mill Plain Boulevard, Vancouver
- Kaiser Permenente, Orchards Medical Clinic, 701 S.E. 137th Avenue, Vancouver
- Kaiser Permenente, Salmon Creek Medical Clinic, 14406 N.E. 20th Avenue, Vancouver
- Honeybee Eye Care, 9317 N.E. Highway 99, Suite D, Vancouver
- Mountain View Eye Care, 14415 S.E. Mill Plain, Vancouver
- Nellor Law Office, 201 N.E. Park Plaza Drive, Suite 200, Vancouver
- New Seasons Market, Fisher’s Landing, 2100 S.E. 164th Avenue #101, Vancouver
- Safeway (Hazel Dell), 408 N.E. 81st Street, Vancouver
- Safeway (Main Street), 3707 Main Street, Vancouver
- Safeway (Mill Plain & Andresen), 6701 E. Mill Plain Boulevard, Vancouver
- Safeway (Cascade Park), 13719 S.E. Mill Plain Boulevard, Vancouver
- S.W. WA. (Peace Health) Medical Center, North of Mill Plain at 92nd Avenue, Vancouver
- Vancouver Eye Clinic, 3200 Main Street, Vancouver
- Vancouver Vision Clinic, 314 E. McLoughlin Boulevard, Vancouver
- WINCO, Highway 99 and 99th Street, Vancouver
You may also give your used eyeglasses or hearing aids to any Vancouver Lions Club member, or you may contact the Club's representative to the Lions Sight Foundation of Clark County (for eyeglasses) or the Club's representative to the Lions Hearing And Speech Committee of Clark County (for hearing aids) and they will make arrangements to pick up your used eyeglasses or hearing aids.
Where Do All Of Those Eyeglasses Go?
Eyeglasses collected by the Vancouver Lions Club are sent to the Northwest Lions Eyeglass Recycling Center in Olympia, Washington.
NWLERC was founded by Washington state Lions Clubs and is one of 19 official Lions Eyeglass Recycling Centers recognized by Lions Clubs International in the world. It is a Washington State chartered, IRS authorized 501(c)(3) corporation.
Lions and other volunteers work at NWLERC evaluating, cleaning and cataloging donated eyeglasses. Glasses with broken or missing lenses or parts are discarded or salvaged. Gold and silver are extracted from frames containing those precious metals and the income is used to help defray the center's operating costs. Lions clean the eyeglasses that get through the initial usability screening and then examine them with a lensometer to determine the prescription. They are then sealed in plastic bags with the prescription noted on each bag.
Eyeglasses collected, processed and packaged by NWLERC are distributed to humanitarian groups traveling to developing countries, including Lions traveling and operating as part of the Lions Sight First Program, Volunteer Optometric Services for Humanity (VOSH), World Vision, EyeCare WeCare Foundation, Optometry College Groups, Military Civil Assistance Groups, and numerous church groups.